Friday, October 4, 2013

Discovering City Art and Tunnels in Downtown Columbia SC

Halloween is fast approaching and my friend and I are taking our girls to a ghoulish photo shoot in two days. So before we go with the masses, we want to check out the photo shoot site for ourselves, an old railroad tunnel converted into a pedestrian and bike path.
 
We are glad that there is plenty of parking here. It is secluded, although in plain site, but you could pass by a hundred times without realizing a tunnel is nearby. Once you know it's location, the corner of Lincoln and Washington Streets, you will want to visit often.
 
 

The old railroad tracks have been paved over and street lamps put in to make a nice foot path. But what is really amazing is the texture of the old walls. What character! This little treasure spot is an awesome place to take photos.
 
My daughter, who accompanies us this year, takes full advantage of our hidden position from the city and with her radio blasting TEEN BEACH MOVIE songs, she starts dancing in the streets. I apologize now for all the pictures I am posting of her, but this area is more about a treasure spot for taking photos rather than old historic beauty. (Although I'm sure my friend will have LOTS of unique photos to share of this place.)
 





After so much fun, it is hard to leave but we want to explore the tunnel ahead.
 

We notice both sides are fenced and the tunnel is closed at 9:00 PM. High on each fence sits an owl. My friend says it's to keep the birds out. How clever!
 

I play with my telephoto lens inside the tunnel to find different shots using the depth of the walls. I am not a very experienced photographer, but I still manage to get a few different feels to my photo. I imagine with some playtime (or knowledge), some spectacular shots could emerge from this place.

These are both at the same distance. I'm just using my lens to see what different effects I can get from the walls with my subject.
 





Remnants of the old railroad still remain in the wall.

 We make it out the other side and decide to what else lies ahead.
 My friend and daughter take the lead.
 Just something I see high upon the wall and decide to take a closer look.
My daughter is amazed that cactus grows here and wants me to photograph it.
 
On the other side we find Finley Park. But we also find lots of the city's homeless and decide maybe it's not the best place for two women and a child to be walking. Especially since we are carrying expensive cameras. We turn around and head back through the tunnels.
 
 My friend spies City Art in the distance and says we should go take a look. They have lots of art for sale by local artists. I'm glad she insists. What a fabulous old space and the art is most incredible. City Art is three floors of art with an art supply store in the basement.
A sculpture at City Art.

More art!

After some time browsing, I find a favorite and am soon able to spot her work all over the studio. I love these face pieces and would love to make a spot for some of this artwork in my home.

More from my favorite artist. And each piece is between $100-$200, which make them the more affordable pieces in this gallery.

The first piece I fell in love with.

Here's an interesting mosaic type art. It's really beautiful!

This is my friends favorite piece. It takes up an entire wall. I think it cost a whopping 35K.
 
We decide it's time to leave because we want to drive to another tunnel my friend knows about.
 We find the tunnel and begin descending the winding staircase. If we go down, that means we have to come up. My legs will hate me tomorrow.
 The first thing I notice when we reach the tunnel is all the Gamecock graffiti on the walls. I think how my husband would love this place.

 I wish I would have noticed the picture in the middle of the 'S' here. I would have investigated further.



 Here is another picture inside a picture. This looks like it's a sticker but when I touch it, I learn that it is painted. I bet these are hidden throughout the tunnel. Next time I go, I'll be sure to check.
 We end up at the Carolina Coliseum.
 The entire surrounding area is under construction!
 The front of the coliseum.
We've had a successful day, but it's getting late so we call it a day. The tunnels were a nice find and we are exciting about the upcoming photo shoot. If you find yourself in downtown Columbia, definitely check these tunnels out. And if you need art...VISIT CITY ART! That place is definitely worth your time.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment